Do you lead a team who are not performing as well as they could be? Perhaps your team is well-established, but there are attitudes or behaviours within the team that are impacting negatively on the team dynamics. Or maybe you’re leading a new project group and you need to get them working together quickly. Team coaching empowers the team to take charge of their own development and to collectively manage: Team performance; Team goals; Focus of activity; Decision making; and Communication.
I have had Julie working as a Coach with my senior management team over the past nine months during a time of significant change... Julie has been instrumental in maintaining and increasing the performance of the individuals and the team. [Executive Director, Australian University]
Why team coaching?
The past five years has seen enormous growth in team coaching. Buy why? Team development and team building have been around for many years, but team coaching is different. The team coach might attend a specific event, or attend regular team meetings. It may also involve some individual coaching of the team leader and other team members, with a focus on how they can develop their contribution to the team’s effectiveness.
What makes a high performing team?
The research of Richard Hackman (What Makes for a Great Team, 2004) identified five conditions that increase the probability of team effectiveness. They are:
- Is the group a real team (or just a group?)
- Does the team have a compelling purpose?
- Does the team’s structure enable teamwork?
- Does the team’s social system support members to carry out their work?
- Is competent coaching available to help team members?
A team will never be high performing if they don’t have a clear & specific purpose, or if they don’t understand how to work together. Team coaching can be useful to create energy and impetus within the team, build the team’s capability, and improve the team’s capacity for the future.
Benefits of an organisation adopting a coaching approach:
Some of the benefits of coaching to your organisation will include:
- Cultural repair and change - building positive individual and team behaviours.
- Building resilience - learning how to prioritise what matters most for now and for the long term: focusing on what matters to enhance individual and organizational resilience.
- Retaining valued staff - helping to build motivation and focus for valued staff.
- Developing leaders - working with the rising stars / future leaders who will be stretched to take on new challenges.
Contact me if you would like to discuss my approach to team coaching and developing a team learning plan.